Robert Henry Jordan, 1960-1972
ROBERT HENRY JORDAN was born in Talbot County, Georgia, on February 6, 1916. He attended public school in Talbotton and holds a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Georgia Law School. Upon graduation in 1941 he entered the Army as a private and was discharged in 1946 as a major of infantry. He practiced law in Talbotton from 1946 until his appointment to the Court of Appeals in 1960, where he served until his appointment to the Supreme Court in March, 1972. He served as Chief Justice from December 20, 1980 until November 1, 1982, when he retired from the Court.
Justice Jordan has served in all three branches of state government, having served in the State Senate 1953-4, and again in 1959 as President Pro- Tem of that body. He was a member of the State Highway Board when appointed to the Court of Appeals in 1960. He is a member of the State Bar of Georgia, the American Judicature Society, Phi Delta Theta fraternity, Phi Delta Phi legal fraternity, and a member of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Warm Springs Memorial Commission. He has served as chairman of the Talbot County Board of Education, president of the Lions Club, president of the Chattahoochee Circuit Bar Association, and as vice-president of the Georgia Bar Association. He is the author of There Was a Land, a history of Talbot County, Georgia, and coauthored Courthouses in Georgia, published by The Harrison Company. He is a Mason and a deacon in the Talbotton Baptist Church. His hobbies include golf, gardening, and painting.
He is married to the former Jean Ingram of T albotton. T hey have three children, Mrs. Patrick (Barbara) Holder, David C. Jordan, and William G. Jordan, and three grandchildren, Holly, Patrick, and Louise Holder.