Marion T. Pope, Jr., 1981-2002
Chief Judge: 1993-1994
Judge Marion T. Pope, Jr. was born September 28,1927 in Thomaston, Upson County, Georgia, to Marion T. Pope, Sr. and Hulette Irene Clarke Pope. Shortly after his birth, the family moved to Canton, Cherokee County, Georgia. After graduation from Canton High School in 1945, Judge Pope entered North Georgia College in Dahlonega. His education was interrupted by a call to serve in World War II and Judge Pope served in the Navy for two years. After the war, Judge Pope attended South Georgia College in Douglas, Coffee County, Georgia. Later he entered the University of Georgia earning a Bachelor of Business Administration degree and in 1953 earned his Bachelor of Laws degree. In 1988, he capped his academic career by earning a Master of Laws from the University of Virginia.
After admission to the Bar in 1953, Judge Pope began the practice of law in Canton. Judge Pope was instrumental in the founding of Cherokee Federal Savings Bank where he held the offices of Vice President/General Counsel and President. He presently serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Bank of North Georgia (successor to Cherokee Federal).
Elected to the Georgia House of Representatives, Judge Pope served from 1963 to 1966. On March 24, 1967, he was appointed Superior Court Judge in the Blue Ridge Judicial Circuit, an office he held until his appointment to the Court of Appeals of Georgia by Governor George D. Busbee on January 5, 1981. Since then, he has been re-elected by the people of Georgia for successive six year terms. Judge Pope served as Chief Judge from January 1993 to December 1994. Judge Pope's past activities include service as President of the Blue Ridge Bar Association; President, Council of Juvenile Court Judges; Administrative Judge, Ninth Judicial Administrative District; Chairman, Judicial Council of Georgia; Chairman, Judicial Planning Commission; Governor's Judicial Process Review Commission under Governors Busbee, Harris and Miller; Trustee, Kennesaw State College; Georgia Legal History Foundation; and President, University of Georgia Law School Alumni Association. He has served on the Board of Directors of The Hundred Club of Georgia; Advisory Council for Probation; State Crime Commission; and on the Board of Visitors for the University of Georgia School of Law. A Mason and Shriner, Judge Pope also is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, a member of The Lawyers Club of Atlanta, Commerce Club, Gridiron Secret Society, Old War Horse Lawyers Club and The Old Guard of the Gate City Guard of Atlanta.
Judge Pope is a former Trustee of the Institute of Continuing Judicial Education of Georgia, a member of the Chief Justice's Commission on Professionalism and presently serves on the Georgia Commission on Dispute Resolution. Judge Pope was also appointed as a member of the Appellate Courts Study Commission by then Lieutenant Governor Pierre Howard. In 1997, Judge Pope was presented the Tradition of Excellence Award by the General Practice and Trial Section of the State Bar of Georgia. In January 2000, he was the recipient of the Cherokee County Chamber of Commerce's First Citizen Award. He is married to the former Judith Anita Few, and they have three children: Tom, Jon and Jennifer. The Popes attend the First Baptist Church in Canton.